Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Christianity Part 2

As I mentioned in Part 1, I'm tired of Christianity being something I so easily glossed over and took for granted. I want to wake up, to dig deep and to find more then surface level Christianity.
I wrote about rituals other religions have -meditation, specific prayers... - and I wondered about Christianity. I thought about how I, and I'm sure other people too, just took Christianity for granted. I knew God was always going to be there, I knew He knew what I was thinking so I didn't have to put it into words, I knew He loved me. But I wasn't putting anything in to this relationship. I was letting it become one sided.
In Church on Sunday, we had Communion. I do Communion every time our church does it, and I have even had some realizations sitting there holding the cracker, or the cup. But this time was different. It was actually me paying attention, actually realizing that, "Wow, I want every day to be like this, every minute to be a reminder of what Jesus did for me."
I want to be continually aware. I want to dig deep and become more then just fine in my relationship with God. I want it to be more then a passing thought.
These little tiny thoughts began floating through my head... What is I began reading the Bible more? What if I began actually being available and listening to hear God's voice?Maybe those other religions don't have it all wrong. I'm not saying their views on how to get to heaven and on God are correct, but maybe they know something we don't.
They sit for quite possibly hours at a time, just being still. They worship daily, reciting Scriptures and reading them aloud.
What would my life be like if I began doing that? What would it be like if I stopped rushing around, stopped taking for granted the wonderful relationship I have with God, and was still? What would happen if I took those few minutes out of my day to read a Bible passage, or to memorize a Scripture, or to just sit in silence and listen for God's voice?
There's so many thoughts I have on this topic right now, and I don't have time to unpack them all, but this is just a little bit of what I've been thinking.

1 comment:

jkoleba said...

Solid stuff. My relationship with God suffers for the same reasons as my relationships with others suffer. Thanks for your post.