Monday, April 30, 2012

When God Nudges...

When God nudges, beautiful things happen. When God hears the prayers of a lonely, broken girl, He can work in great ways. When God works, people come together.
It was a Sunday, and the last thing I wanted to be was alone. I knew there was a party going on at my friend's house, and my soul was in one of those restless longing phases, and I just wanted someone to come and knock on my door. I wanted company, wanted comfort.
And then I got the email...
I got the email that warmed up my heart and brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes.
It was one of those emails that said everything I needed to hear at that time, that ministered to me in the place I was at, that gave me hope... and provided the comfort I was longing for.
It was one of those emails that can only be described as orchestrated by God.
In the first paragraph of the email I found the words, "God has prompted me to write you a wee note."
Like I said, when God works, beautiful things happen. When God works, people come together.
I couldn't wrap my head around the beautiful truths and encouragement I found in that little message. It was like God had reached down and said, "Alisha, I haven't forgotten about you. You may feel lonely, but I am here. You want comfort, but I am already waiting and all you have to do is receive. The gifts I give you are good, I know what you need."
Because when God works, people come together. When God hears the prayers of a lonely, broken girl in need of comfort and answers and hope, beautiful things happen.
When people respond to God's gentle nudges, they can be used as vessels of hope, the answer to the prayers of a girl miles away.
I wish I could find the way to describe everything I felt reading that email. Because it was beautiful, and it gave me hope, and it made me smile, and it reminded me of the truth that is so easily forgotten as I'm walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
I wanted a friend that day, and I did get one, just not in the way I expected. It wasn't a face to face conversation that restored my soul, but a simple email from a beautiful woman miles away.
When God nudges, beautiful things happen. When God hears the prayers of a lonely, broken girl, He can work in great ways. When God works, people come together.

1 comment:

Em said...

Thank you for this post Alisha. It was just the encouragement I needed here thinking that God is ignoring my prayers.